Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Sunday, January 21

The trip to Switzerland

My family, my best friend Claire and I all drove out to the Tasmania airport at about 12:30pm. I was excited and nervous all at once. I had many a hug and photo with my family until my flight was called. I swiped my ticket and walked out on the tarmac. Yet it still did not feel real, I did not feel like I was going for a whole year.

I hopped onto the plane and opened my carry on bag and there where 3 cards from my family. This was probably the first momentI really felt like I am going for a year.

When our plane landed in Melbourne I was met by a guide and one of the other Tasmanian exchange students Chriss. We collected our bags and went to check in to international.

After an 1/2 and hour wait in line and a bit of rearranging of my bags I was finally checked
through. I then made my way to the international airport and customs and was totally swept up in a crowd of about 100 green Rotary blazers. Who ever had told us that you will stand out in a crowed if you where your blazer was totally wrong.

In Melbourne you would have stood out if you were not in a blazer. As I watched everyone say farewell to their family a lady turned around and noticed my Tasmanian badge on my arm and said..."oh you must have said all of your farewells in Tasmanina". I said "yes I said goodbye in Tasmania". She then gave me a huge hug and said "now sweety you can say that you where farewelled in Melbourne too."

The rest of the trip was just crazy I felt as if I was on Auto pilot and was just going with out even knowing what I was doing. I found my self checking trough customs, finding some other exchange students from Melbourne and making friends with them. Hopping on a plane and taking off. The plane was so exciting as we had little TV screens each and all of the flight attendants where dressed up in their silk dresses with their faces painted like porcelain
dolls.

I sat next to a girl called Lauren who was also going to Switzerland. I must say it is amazing how a 8 hour flight makes you close to someone. After 2 movies and alot of talking we arrived in Thailand. Their airport was huge. It was also so clean and new. There where what looked like streets of shops with a Temple and statue every now and again.

Once again auto pilot kicked in and I found myself on another plane, this one heading to Zurich. I was now next to Jo and a random Thai man. This flight I tried to sleep a bit but it was not as easily said so done. So after a little nap I gave up and watch the whole first season
of "Gray's Anatomy". We then landed in Zurich.

We all bounded off the plane all 25 Australian
exchange students and tried to find out where to go. We ended up following everyone else through customs and followed all of the signs that had bags on them. We then ended up at a dead end with two trains either side of us.

After alot of deliberating we just jumped on one of the trains. Zoom off we went.
We did the right thing as we arrived at our bag collection area. It was extremely exciting we were finally here and we had caught a train. I collected my baggage and went off to find my host family

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey angela sounded fun but hectic :) omg cars were under water in derwent park cos of the flood...will send you the paper with the pics. love you Vee

January 22, 2007 9:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home