Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Sunday, January 28

AUSTRALIA DAY

I woke up and went and said happy Australia day to my family. I talked to my host mum and we decided that I would make Lammigtons and Vegemite sandwiches. I went and got my cake recipe that my siter Olivia (from Aus) had written me. I made the cake....however this was not as easily said as done as they had no self raising flour...but I used baking riser that I found in their cupboard and solved that problem. The next problem was that he cake crumbled when i put it in the icing and coconut. To solve this we melted this Swiss chocolate icing this and dripped it on it. (so if ever in Switzerland, find baking riser and melt-a-icing). I then had language school where we had a Australian day party in our lunch break with the national Anthem, Vegemite,Tim-tams and Australian clothing.

After Language school I cam home and my family told me that they had tried the Lamingtons, the Tim-tams and the Vegemite sandwiches I had set up before language school on the table. And guess what they like it all.....I mean all of it even the Vegemite! How awesome is that!

I then had to get ready to go to a Rotary "dinner at home". What this is is: A Rotarian says I can have 3 couples to my house for dinner. Then the club has a raffle so to speak and they pick out 3 Rotarians to go to the house for dinner. It is a way of the people in my club meeting each other and their partners. My host parents where going and I was asked to come along as well. We arrived at this huge house, we walked inside and I was shocked to see that the huge house was actually massive because it was 3 levels with 1 Underground. We met the other couple (this Rotarian said that he only wanted 2 couples) and we went to have dinner. This house was amazing, It was really big and modern with heaps of artwork on the walls including a 3million year old granite fossil of sea shells.

Our first course was pasta with these funny little mushrooms that looked like prunes but takse just wonderful. Main course was the most wonderful beef, with a zesty source , rice and vegetables. This may sound plain but it looked like food that you receive in a restaurant and tasted even better. With each course we had a glass of "world award winning" wine. Dessert was all of these different icecreams and fruit. Last but not least where the lammintons that I decided that I would bring so that they could have a taste of Australia on Australia Day.

They talked in Swiss German so I had trouble understanding, and every now and again would ask me a few questions in English. It was a wonderful evening and a great way to spend Australia day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg a three million old fossil.... you told me it was 1 million... oh well all the same to me..... million is still old as old....... hahahaha so my cake didn't work out that well????? make it a few times and it does..... just melt chocolate and use milk in it for the icing and it goes on well if you let the cak cool before putting on the icing..... otherwise it crumbles!!!!!!
well thats all from olivia

January 28, 2007 10:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo ange!
sounds like ur having a lot of fun in switzerland,
and ur australia day sounds much more eventful then mine. everyones missing you lots, and my internet on MY computer is FINALLY working so i can actually read your blog and send u emails and stuff. i'm glad to see u have a nice host family, and that you finally got some snow. have a great time
Portia "ram-jet" Rogers ;)

January 28, 2007 12:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home