Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Monday, September 17

An Exchange inside an exchange -Choir Exchange to Germany

In Switzerland I am apart of the Music stream (so the Major subject that my class focuses on in Music) and because of this I am in the school Choir. Now being in the school choir can sometimes be extremely difficult although I like music and enjoy to sing unlike my class I can not read music and can not look at a piece of paper with all the notes on it and hear how the song sounds in my head.......for me learning a song means going over and over and over it. So i am usually forced to mime my way thought the choir as i don't want to open my mount and let out the wrong note and put the whole choir off key.

However being in the choir has it's benefits and the major benefit is that each year the choir does a choir exchange with another choir in Europe....and this year we went to Leipzig in Germany and then the week later (last weekend) the kids form Leipzig came to Switzerland.

So on Thursday the 6th we met at the train station at 7:30am and took a luxury coach for the 10 hour drive up to Leipzig. This drive was extremely long however the choir master took the opportunity to teach the choir a new song.......yes we learnt a new song that we were going to have to sing at a concert in Leipzig that weekend on the bus ride up.



The choir just had fun doing a sing along.....however unlike an Australian sing-along were it is all out of tune mostly yelling and consists of '100 green bottles hanging on the wall etc..in Switzerland they were singing Latin and Spanish and English and German and each song sounded like they were all performing at eh Sydney opera house. It really was just amazing.





After a long ride we arrived in Germany. We were all allocated a Leipzig family, mostly one kid to one family however I was hosted along with another girl form my class (I think to make it easier for me wit the language, however seeing as they actually spoke High German in Germany...and not dialect...I actually understood more than I have the whole year).

So I was hosted with Michele from my class by a girl called Julia and her Foster family.




This family were so lovely. The host mamma was so sweet. She was just the most lovable lady I have met. She made us the nicest foods, allot of German specialties such as pastas and meets, as well as always giving us a HUGE packed lunch with 3 pieces of fruit 2 drinks and 2 rolls.

That evening was really nice. We had a lot of laughs and fun. We spent most of the time in Julia’s room. Her room was totally awesome. She had decorated it all herself and you could see her personality everywhere.....even on the ceiling.



We also had an amusing misunderstanding......... in Switzerland people say 15 nach 6 ( 6:15) , 30 7 (6:30) , and 15vor 7 (6:15). And so When Julia said we are getting up at 15,7 Michele and I were welcomely surprised with the nice sleep in as we thought she meant 7:15. However it turns out that in Deutschland someone says 15,7 and that is 6:15, and then 30, 7,(6:30) and 3/4 ,7 (6:45).

So really we had to get up at 6:15 and not 7:15. SO while the host family thought this was rather amusing.....e actually were sadly disappointed.

So we awoke at 6:15 and not 7:15 on the Friday and went to school with Julia. We had the first double lesson with her in the school, so it was off to Ethics for us.


After Ethics we had choir practice. I took allot of photos and became the photo girl taking photos of the choir for everyone with their cameras.



Lunch was an interesting event. We had potatoes and some cream sauce that looked rather unappealing.....however it was all worth it just to see the school canteen lady in her little outfit, and who needs to eat food anyway when you and your friends can play with it?.






After finishing out lunch we went back outside into the grounds of the school.

This school was rather industrial looking, as was most of Leipzig. Really the city was rather grey feeling. All of the buildings were huge big tall grey armies of apartments covered in graffiti....and I found myself missing the green of Switzerland.

However after lunch and a bit more rehearsal we went and had a visit of the city. We went into the CBD and here the city started to be slightly more attractive. However it was sad to see all of the damage done by the wars as all of the old building were mostly damaged and there was a huge muddle of old and new buildings all jumbled in a landscape that looked like a patchwork blanket.

We also did some tours of the Music conservatorium, where the class spontaneously sang on stage were many a famous German had once sung and composed (aka,Bach)




We also went up onto of the Television tower and saw the birds eye view of the city.....just amazing.....it was so flat....I really could see for miles, however as amazing as it was I missed having green and mountains, or the sea of home. As different as an industrial landscape is with PowerStation’s and factories leaking out smoke....I missed the sound of cow bells and the glint of the snow capped mountains in the sun.





That evening we went to a church and listened to a boys choir.....this was lovely however I got the worst possible view.





That evening after the church Michele and I were taken by our host sister Julia to a disco thing.

And having not been 18 in Australia I had never been in a club atmosphere before. And let me tell you....if it is anything like Germany I may think twice about going. I have never smelt so much smoke, seen people skull down so many shots, or beer in my life......and the noise it was like a football match with people screaming and yelling....not much dancing was being done and what was I would strongly advise the people not to do in public......so really it was so nice of Julia to take us out but a club scene is really not my thing. However as we went with tram I did get my fist ever tram ticket in Europe. (as I have a public transport ticket in Switzerland)

Saturday we went to Dresden. We saw and had a mass in the Frauen Kirche (Church) which was totally destroyed in the war and has recently just been rebuilt stone for stone......it looked amazing. The colours were noticeably feminine and gave a sort of heavenly effect




We also had free time to visit the city. I did so with Hanna a girl from my class and one her friends (who I have totally forgotten the name of..oopps) who is also in the choir but not in our class.

We had a great huge pizza for lunch ( I know one should have a bratwurst in Germany but I really have had so many of them in Switzerland a pizza was a welcomed change).


The city was lovely...but also so damaged that it almost made one sad. all of the ruined building creating scars in the scenery. However there were still many a building intact and one could imagine how wonderful this city once looked. With the sound of street performers and the colours the sun made on all of the sand stone the city was spectacular, Dresden really was rather a pleasant city to visit.




After we arrived back at out host family’s houses, our family told us we were going to a jazz concert at a castle. This was a pleasant surprise and allot of fun. We danced and danced and had a great time. We even saw inside a display of the Völkerschlacht 1813 (some fight with Nepolian)







Sunday was a sleep in and the concert. We sang in a Church and it sounded just Amazing....I have never heard a choir, or two, sing just so beautifully in my life. Well no I have but I have never stood among them surrounded by their voices. I even gave on of the English songs ago (though very quietly) just so my voice could mix with this soul enlightening sound these kids were creating.



Monday we said our good bys and drove our 10 hour drive home. It was sad to go home but at the same time I could not wait to be back in the green of Switzerland again. While I would miss the high German and the easiness of just listening to people speak and understanding.....I am so happy I am in my green play ground of Switzerland that I call home.

Talking about homes I had dinner at my last host family’s house on the Friday evening after we arrived home. This was so much fun, the really seem like a wonderful family. I will have 2 host siblings…both older brothers, one 18 and one 20ish. The 18 year old still lives at home and reminds me of my cousin Bradly, when he was young, as my host brother has dread locks and the same smile as my cousin. He was also really good to chat to , in fact the whole family were so welcoming and friendly . I am looking forward to having older brothers and the new opportunities one receives with a new host family. I will miss my current family, but I know I will keep in contact.

Last Friday the Kids from Leipzig came to visit us, well actually they arrived on the Thursday evening but seeing as I had no student with me I didn’t see them until the Friday when they came to our first lesson of the day, music.

We then rehearsed on the Friday just like we did in Leipzig.

On the Saturday we had a free day until 4.45pm when we had out concert. So I spent the day in the city ...and little to my knowledge that afternoon was a street marching band parade int he city centre, so I watched that before I had to run up the church next to the school for the rehearsal.




we did about 8 songs in the church and then had a break and the resumed out concert in the school hall. The sound was once again amazing. And it was nice to sing in out own school.



Sunday there was a trip to Luzern, however I could not go as we had to meet at 7am at the school and my first bus on a Sunday leaves at 8. I was not happy as I really wanted to go but there was nothing I could do so I stayed at home and joined the family gathering (my host mums family) for lunch. Her family are so lovely and they all made an effort to talk to me. The kids are all small and it was so sweet to see them all playing, and having fun. While the parents had adult time I went and packed up my room as I have to change host families soon.


The Leipzig kids then left on the Monday morning. Hence finishing my exchange inside an exchange.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pizza looks as good as the ones you made at the wood fired pizza place. Not long to my visit. Looking forward to you showing me your Switzerland.

Dad

September 21, 2007 10:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed that you are trying so many different foods, Angela! How beautiful the church in Dresden looks. I hope you are able to get a tape of your school choir singing..I would love to hear it.
Continue to enjoy!!! Say hello to your family for me, please.
Love Mum xxxx

September 21, 2007 7:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home