Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Tuesday, August 21

A day to remember

Rachel and I (another Australian exchange student) have a Swiss Army blanket that we have aquired and we have decided that we will turn it into two bags. So we organized to get together and buy things for our bag; zips etc. So with Rachel’s host sister , and 2 other exchange students Ellie and Kyle we met ant the train station and all went to Interlaken.

We walked around the tourist shops (Interlaken is tourist central, as it is on the way to the Jungfrau jock (The highest peak in Europe). I have never seen so many tourist shops in one place in my life, just amazing.

We found the mother of all tourist shops and went looking through the contents of this tourist paradise. I found a cheap wooden carved looking plate....It is sort of a granny thing to get, a plate...but i think it is awesome, as it sums up Switzerland perfectly with bergs, a house and animals...even the Swiss flag is included along with edelweiss.




After buying our finds we were leaving the shop when we saw the funniest hats I have ever seen.


I think the photo is rather self explanatory....but for those of you who are not sure …..We are wearing Swiss cow udder hats. We had to take a photo, much to the amusement of all the people walking along the street.




Then one thing led to another and suddenly we had all had our our money ready (all excerpt Rachel’s host sister she would take photos) .....and were booked into going paragliding. ..............yes you read it right. I WENT PARA-GLIDING IN SWITZERLAND WITH THE JUNGFRAU JOCK AS MY BACK DROP, HOW AMAZING IS THAT


We were so excited.....me especially....I could not stop smiling and I was so full of energy that if I had anymore energy inside me I would have exploded.

.It was the most exciting thing I have ever done. We had to get a photo of our group of Australian dare devils.
(From left. Kyle, rachel's host sister, Ellie, Rachel and me)



We caught the company’s bus and went to the main company facilities. Here we paid our cash ….it was now official we were going....Ellie and I were rather shocked at this idea...as it seemed so unreal...and so exciting...if not the slightest bit scary.



We then put on out special shoes



we said good bye to Rachel’s host sister who would wait for us at the landing field...... and hopped on a bus and went up a mountain.

On the bus we were briefed, given a experienced expert whom would be our guide, and pilot throughout the whole experience (This idea was a good one because if I was left to steer the glider I know I would not have come back in one piece and would be scatted across the side of a mountain).


My pilot was called Thomi. We arrived at the top of the mountain and put on some supplied jackets and helmets and prepared to jump.



The view in itself from the mountain was spectacular so I was really looking forward to see the view form the sky.



i was last to jump of the hill....so I stood and watched the others get ready to jump.




Rachel and I had a last Ginger Ninger photo (referring to our red hair)....we were secretly hoping that this would not be our last photo ever.


Then they all started to run off the hill...the thought of this reminded me of lemmings all following each other off a cliff to their doom.....I was hopping that our fait would be a good deal more pleasant.




I watched the others float off in the air and was suddenly not the slightest bit nervous...but actually extremely excited.


At the count of three (after being attached to my glider and my pilot safely strapped in behind me) we ran off the hill...and up up up inot the sky.

IT WAS TOTALLY UNBELIVABLE.... A DREAM... JUST SO TOTALLY AWESOME.


I WAS FLYING.



The view was also so amazing...and pictures speak a thousand words, so here you go

Jungfrau jock.



My feet and Interlaken




A side of a mountain with gliders in the air




more views


Myself and my pilot..




(silly faces)



And my favorite the Jungfrau jock and gliders.



After spinning and doing a tricks...floating and having fun it was to my disappointment time to land. After spinning and spiraling our way to the ground we landed and my journey was over...but the memories would last a life time.

We were all on a total high....adrenalin was rushing though all our limbs...


Me and my pilot




myself and the others




we then walked back in the sun to return our boots and collect our things.


That evening I went back on the train with Rachel and her host sister as I was staying the night at her house. He host family were so nice. Rachel has a 11 year old host sister and a 7 year old host brother...they were great fun. Her host dad has the perfect Swiss profession...he owns a chocolate factory...and as such I have a block of his chocolate wich I am savoring every bite as it is so good.

After a fun dinner Rachel and I went to her room to work on our bag. We cut out our patter ( this was a fun event as we had designed our own pattern and were sort of winging it as we went along) however the result after pinning looked exceptionally promising ..I really think it will look great. we were a great team, Rachel had sewing abilities ( any one how knows me will know I lack theses) and I could see all of the design in my head....so together we have almost created a bag. After another sleep-over I assure our efforts will pay off.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What amazing fun, Angela!!!
I cannot say I would do it, but it looks pretty terrific!!! The mountains look spectacular....as do your boots!!!! You will have photos of 'places my feet have been'.
Love Mum xxxxx

August 23, 2007 8:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home