Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Thursday, August 2

France with the Lacombe's

On The Wednesday Afternoon after driving for an hour Rene and I arrived at eh Lacombe’s house, and Pharmacy (the Lacombe’s house is located above their Pharmacy)

Here I saw greeted by the Thomas, Damian (Tomas’ Older Brother), Phillip (Thomas’ Dad) and Marie-Helen (Thomas’ Mum) . Maud (Thomas’ Sister) was not yet home.

After a warm welcome and a good bye hug for Rene, Thomas took my bad up to my room.

After being shown around their lovely home, Maud came home.

Thomas then asked me if I would like to go and see their beach house in Carnac and see the sea again. I said an automatic YES…so all the kids pilled into Thomas car and off we went to Carnac.

We arrived at their beach house after a really fun filled car ride with a lot of talking and music

Their beach house is in the most perfect location I have seen.Not to close to the beach but in perfect walking distance.




After a totally refreshing swim (for the first time in 5 months) we went and had what every French person eats after a good swim.....Crepes. These crepes were soooooooooo good.





After we had eaten our crepes it was back in the car to go and have a look at these famous ancient rocks that are scattered along the coast of Carnac and are a bit like Stonehenge, their reason for being there is unknown.





We then went of for a bit of a tour of Carnac. We walked along the beach and I thought it was so cool that there were these little striped tents just sitting there on the beach. The looked so charming.



We then went and had a drink in one of the restraints, talked and just enjoyed each others company.

We then went back to the beach and Thomas and Damian went windsurfing. While the boys zoomed about in the water Maud and I had a nice chat.


It was then back to The Lacombe’s house for us.


The next few days consisted of going to Carnac and just relaxing.

On the Thursday evening Thomas, Marie-Helen, Phillip and I went to the Vannes Rotary Club’s meeting (the Old host Club of Belinda, and the old Sponsor Club Of Thomas).

I really enjoyed this meeting as everyone was so welcoming and so nice. I what a wonderful exchange student Belinda was and how much they all miss her, and how happy they are to have her sister come and visit. This meeting was different once again to all of the other Rotary Clubs meetings I have been to. It was less formal with people walking and talking to each other, so no sit down meal like I have received at my other clubs meetings.. We just had deli snacks and like all of my Rotary Club’s meetings enjoyed each others company.

I presented my Rotary Club of Hobart’s flag to the Club and received a Vannes one in Return.






The rest if the meeting consisted of me talking to people ad just enjoying myself. Thomas helped translate when I was talking to people, who didn’t speak English. I even found some members who could talk German, It was just wonderful.


The meeting drew to an end and I said goodbye to everyone. This is one thing I love about being a Rotary exchange student. The way one can become so connected to people all over the world and how every Rotary member is so welcoming and nice. SO a big thank you to the Rotary Club of Vannes for letting me be a part of their meeting, and being so kind and welcoming.


On the 14th of July( which is Bastille day, France’s National Day). The Lacombe’s took me to Paris. They needed to go to Paris to get a Visa for Maud who would be going to Argentina in a few days, and so Damian could leave form the Paris airport as he was going on a holiday to stay with his girlfriend.

Thomas couldn’t come to Paris as he was working so the rest of us left in the morning of the 14th and drove the long distance up to Paris.

We arrived in Paris and I was so excited. The buildings all looked so wonderful and the buzz one gets from the city is just remarkable.

We parked the car and then took the Underground Trains....yes I have now officially been underground……It actually was very exciting, and so I had to get a photo of this event.




. We then arrived at our stop and left the underground and went in search for a place to eat. We found a little street side Parisian café and so went and had these French bread sandwich things for dinner.




We then went and walked along the street. This was when I had my first glimpse of the Eiffel Tower. For me it was so strange to see this famous object just sitting there. It was so crazy to actually see the Eiffel tower…it really didn’t seem real.




We then followed the crowds of people in the heat (it was bout 35 degrees) and found our selves and a concert. We watched the concert, and once that stopped turned around to see the Eiffel tower lit up by lights and fire works. This was just breath taking, it looked so stunning.






It was just amazing to be in Paris on Bastille Day, I never in a hundred years would have imagined I would be in Paris, let alone on Bastille day. It was like a dream, so of course I had to take a photo of me there to prove that I was actually there and I was not dreaming this whole wonderful event. This really was such an amazing treat….I really was just so lucky.



We then walked the streets of Paris so we could go back to our car. (The Police had shut off parts of the underground because of all of the people). We found an opened part of the underground and went down. I have never seen so many people in all of my life. It was just amazing how many people could fit inside this city, let alone the underground. Once on the trains we were totally surrounded by people you could hardly breath with out being squashed by the crowed.

We finally escaped the swarm of people, found the car and drove off through the city. Once again it was so strange to just be driving through the city and suddenly see the Arc de Triomf and other famous buildings lit up in lights. Everything was just so surreal.










The next day we went for a Tour around Paris. Here we saw the city in day light and it was just as magical as it had been at night. We went to a part of Paris that used to be a wine cellar, and had a lovely lunch. After a spot of shopping we went and found a park and just lay down on the grass as the day was so hot.

Our next stop for the day was the home of the Hunch back,………Yes Notre Dame.

We saw this amazing building from many an angel, each just as spectacular as the last.

From the side of a bridge





From the side of the street



And from inside.







Inside this building was just amazing. The stain glass windows were breath taking and the stone work was just unbelievable. We happened to go into the Cathedral while a service was talking place, this made the whole experience just breath taking.




Once we left the Cathedral I convinced everyone to join me in having a Hunch back pose with Notre Dame in the background.




We then had a nice normal photo as well.



It was then off to find something for dinner. We found a lovely Parisian restraint….and I chose a meal that every tourist just has to try…………………SNAILS.



I was a bit nervous about eating these little critters as I had to pull then out of their shell and then eat them whole, however one has to have snails in Paris so I ripped them out of their shells and ate them. The taste of these little critters is a strange one. I am not even sure if they have a taste as all I could taste was the butter garlic sauce they had been marinated in. However I was brave and I can now say I have eaten snails.





For dessert I had a meal I was not nervous about eating, in fact I was excited……….I had a huge bowl of chocolate mousse....so good.





We then drove once again through Paris at night. And once again I saw more famous buildings, and even building that were not famous but just looked exquisite at night time.




Our last day of Paris had arrived. We took Damien to the airport and said goodbye. It was then off to get Maud’s Visa.

After getting Maud’s Visa we went for a bit of a walk and then suddenly there it was again right in front of us…the Eiffel tower was once again just standing proud and tall in the middle of Paris. It was such a shock to just suddenly see it again with out expecting to.

Maud and I had a photo with this metal creation behind us.




I even had a photo of my feet and the Eiffel tower…just to show the world I now officially have travelling feet.




We then decided to be traditional and go around Paris on bicycle. This was so much fun as I felt like I had stepped back into the 1800’s, especially when we rode our bikes around the louver.








After returning our bikes we did a spot of shopping. We went into this department store that screamed ‘rich’, Luxury’,a nd totally out of my price range. However jus looking around this building was amazing in itself….even if the price tags on things made your jaw drop.






We bought some snacks to have in the car ride home, the best pastries I have ever had from Paul’s. We then drove home after a wonderful few days in Paris.


My last few days in France were good fun. Thomas was kind enough to teach me to windsurf…..well teach me to stand on the board and be able to move about 5 meters until I fell over again. This was a lot of fun, and Thomas really needs a medal for being so patient with me as I really am not the most coordinated person.

For my last morning I went for a final swim in the sea with Marie-Helen and Phillip.
This was so refreshing and a great way to start the day.

It was then time to grab my suit case and zoom off to the airport. I had the best time in France. It was so awesome to see Thomas again and meet all of his family properly. They were exceedingly generous towards me and I had the best time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Blog. Envy is a sin

Dad

August 03, 2007 8:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guten morgen schwester of mine,
vei ghets?ich bin gutte danke. ich habe flotto otto....ok theres my german vocab!!1 oh yeah ich heise victoria! nice to see that you still have your ewish feet,,,thank god those toes were covered...the last thing we need is travelling toes......lol....have fun
Xx victoria

August 03, 2007 9:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Angela,
I know what you mean re the Eiffel Tower..so amazing to see these historical things we learn about 'just there'!!! Well done for trying snails!!! What an experience you have had!
Love Mum xxxx

August 03, 2007 9:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home