Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Saturday, June 23

England *3/4*

Day three was the big day the reason of my being in England; It was the day of Cordelia’s First Holy Communion. I had a feeling this day would be wonderful from the moment I awoke. The little bit f rain we had had the day before had cleared up and the heavens were shining upon us. I got myself dressed the helped with what I could to get the final touches ready before church.


I tried to get myself looking half decent but my hair had a mind of its own. My hair is in a good need of a cut as I have not had it cut the whole time I have been in Switzerland. This is because I have not had the time and even if I did just a trim would set me back 40 franks (so 42 ish Dollars) and then a proper cut can set you back about 70 franks. (Totally crazy, but I guess the hairdressers all make good money as one has to have their hair cut…so they are in demand no matter what the price).

So I was trying to get my hair to be normal but it was refusing to work with me today. My hair is very stubborn and likes to annoy me. It will be lovely and look great ….just before I go to bed. Then when I need it to look nice it will refuse and flick or sit in eh oddest of positions.

So today I had a side fringe that was flicking out to the side creating a huge big wave across my head that made me look like a man, or a girl with a toupee, or a man old balled man with a toupee….and let me tell you this was not the look I was going for.

So after giving up on the hair and realising I would have to look like a little man with funny hair I went downstairs. Here Cordelia was dressed up and looking just stunning and so cute. She was dressed in the most exquisite dress that Elizabeth had made and with the lace jacket over the top she looked so lovely.




The other children also looked lovely as well, in fact the whole family look just fabulous.
Rupert was in little light weight suit, Olivia was in the most lovely skirt and a lovely cardigan, Elizabeth was in a beautiful pink dress, and Ted was in a nice suit with a wonderful tie. Magic (Mary the friend of Elizabeth) was sin the most lovely purple coat and look so elegant. In fact all of the other women in the house looked extremely elegant (which made me feel even more manly than ever).

It was then time for church. We hopped in the car , well Cordelia was strategically placed so she did not get creases in her dress. We then drove off to the church.

The church service was just charming. I really enjoyed it. Cordelia and another boy Joseph whom were both having their first holy communions looked so sweet together. The Priest gave a wonderful sermon ,the children read some passages, and took their first holy communion. We sang some songs……..I thought I had heard these songs before, and then I realised we had sung them once or twice at home in Australia in my schools weekly religious assemblies. This was great as I sort of knew the tune so tried to sing along as best I could.

After church we had some special’ First Holy Communion cake ‘and Champaign to celebrate.




Family photos were taken in front of the church and in the church.








Photos of Cordelia and Joseph



Cordelia had photos with her Godmothers

And she has some with me(please do excuse the hair)


And then we all had a big group photo.


After church we went back home and had breakfast. This was just amazing of Elizabeth as she had done so much getting everything organised for the party that we would be having later on that day…and she still made us all a hot English breakfast.


At about 12 people started to arrive for the party. First people waited outside in the courtyard, mingled and got to know one another.



Meanwhile behind the scenes a group of polish girls and young men who are house hold help for Elizabeth worked a miracle and had all the food prepared and cut went about making sure the guest were all OK, and had a drink in their hand

So after mingling and meeting more lovely people including another Australian (who is friend of Elizabeth’s), The head of Olivia’s school house and her husband , it was time for speeches. Lovely speeches were said and Cordelia presented her Godmothers with flowers as a thank you. It was now time to go to the barn, that was so beautifully decorated, and serve yourself at the buffet and then sit down.






From now on the adults talked the kids all went outside and played and I mingled between both. After a while the kids were getting a bit ratty, so after Cordelia presented her ‘First Holy Communion Teacher’ with flowers (as the teacher had told Ted that she would be come later as she had other commitments) it was time for the kid games that myself and other parents organised and marshaled.

These games were basically, running races, golf ball and hand races (so our new version of egg and spoon) and three legged races. This worked really well as the kids now were very occupied and were putting in all the energy they had to win some candy prizes.

After I escaped the sugar high children I went and talked with more adults.

The day was now drawing to an end. After some guest’s car was pulled out a ditch (I really hove no idea why he decided to par there….. but he did).

The guest slowly all left and it was time for us to all relax, and reflect on the fabulous day.
Cordelia opened her gifts and Elizabeth was a well trained mother a wrote a list of all the gifts and what came form who.

The day wound up with dinner, and then bed. I was once again tired and very sleepy.


The last day I awoke, got ready to go…. said goodbye to all the kids as they went off to school, and then ate breakfast with the adults and Ted drove me to the airport. On the way I had a great chat about life, his life and things in general.

I then went to book into my flight things ran relatively smoothly. We were delayed and hour but after Friday it really was a breeze. I bought some Cadbury’s chocolate. Ate all of it. Boarded my plane and went home.

So I really did have the most wonderful time you could imagine. I love visiting my God Mother and her family. They make me fell so welcome and almost a part of the family.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so lovely to see the photos of Elizabeth and her family.... thank-you Angela. I am so pleased you had such a special week-end for a very special occasion. I would love to have been there too!!

Love Mum xxx

June 24, 2007 4:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home