Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Monday, May 21

Apenzella

On Sunday Benjamin Romeo Michele and I went off to Appenzella for the day.
We left at about 9 in the morning and drove for a few hours. we stopped the car for a pause and went and had a quick view over the canton Saint Gallon.





We then continued on our way to Appenzella. Appenzella is the most wonderful town, all the houses are so small with tiny windows. The style of house is really automatically recognisable as an Appenzella house as the houses are so different to any other Swiss house.




We walked down the roads of the city. This city is so sweet as every laden has a metal sign sticking out from it. The signs are different for each type of produce the shop sells. So a Perfumery will have a metal cut out perfume bottle in it's sign.




Our first stop for the day was to the small Appenzella Museum. Here i saw the most wonderful display of Swiss paintings. They are just beautiful.. as they are so exact in every way...they are full of so much precise perfect detail. They are amazing....I wanted one but did not buy one when I saw they worth $20,000 each.



This museum also had a display of Swiss cow bells





and Swiss cooking instruments etc.





They also had sweet painted milk holders that the cattle herders used to wear on their backs to carry milk.






After the museum we went and had a bite to eat. We went to a small restaurant that was outside under some trees. Here I had a Swiss appenzella cheese and zwiebel pie style thing.


We then walked around the village, I bout some souvenirs...such as patches and post cards for my blazer and scarp book...I also bought postcards of some of the painting as I could not buy the real articles...I also got a post card of a $12,000 paper cutting...........sounds odd but is just amazing.


We then hopped in the car and continued on our way. We didn’t go home however……. instead we went up a part of a mountain to Mount Säntis.



Here we bought some cheese from a small cheese factory and then decided to go up to the top of the berg.

To do so we went up by a cable car. This was very exciting, I love cable cars they are just so special.



The View from the top(2502m) was just great. It was a bit cloudy...however I thought the clouds were just the most beautiful things I have seen. The view was also amazing. The white snow capped Bergs and then grassy pastures below....breath taking. Just beautiful.











Talking of beautiful things. I am never one to miss photo opportunities ..so I snapped away and took lots of photos of my guest family and myself.










It was then time to go back down to the cable car so we could go down the berg. We passed through the information centre at the top of the berg...here I saw a really awesome Swiss mural...







I also saw a display of Swiss animals.


We then went back down in the cable car, had an ice-cream at a restaurant at the bottom and drove home.