Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Thursday, August 2

France (with Rene)

I awoke at 5am on Sunday the 8th in the morning (the day after the Wedding). I was extremely sleepy as I had only had 3 hours sleep that night as we had arrived home at 2am from the wedding (that same morning.)

My host mum was so kind and drove me to the train station so I could catch all of my trains to get to France by 2pm. This may sound like a long time to get to France, and I will assure you it was, however the long journey meant I had plenty of time to catch up on my sleep, so I was well and truly refreshed by the time the train pulled in at Nantes train station.



I was met at the station by a man by the name of Rene. Rene was the Past District chairman of Rotary in France and was also a member of the Vannes Rotary Club that Hosted Belinda (my sister who was a exchange student in France and the reason I had been able to go to France for my holidays.)

After an hours drive to get to Vannes (the city where Belinda was hosted, and the town where Rene lives) we arrived at his house.

His house was just so French, and just so wonderful. I loved everything about it. Its location (right in the heart of the city) and the whole French feel it gave off. There was no mistaking it I really was in France










After settling we went out to explore Vannes. Our first location was the most important…………The Sea…………..I was so excited to see the sea as I had not seen it for 5 whole months, however after a week and a half in France the sea started to become a normal part of the scenery. However to start with I was so excited as, the smell of slat and seaweed ,and the sun on on my face was just like home.




We then did a big drive around Vannes….making sure to pass the sea as many times as possible.


We then went into the city centre. We looked at all of the amazing historical buildings and really got to know the city. Vannes is such a wonderful City. It really was so beautiful.

Belinda was so lucky being able to live in such an amazing par of the world for a year.

Franc is so lovely, yet at the same time so is Switzerland………..it is just very different. So in a way I too am extremely lucky as I am able to experience both of these amazing worlds.


Looking around Vannes I was speechless with all of the amazing; old buildings, carvings and character that the city had to offer.









As we were walking around the city we came across the practice for the Historic Festival of Vannes (So all of these people dressed up in Historic costumes). This year’s theme was to mark the arrival of the train coming to France.




The people looked so wonderful in their Costumes and with this amazing city as the back drop the effect was breath taking.







That night I met Marie-France the partner of Rene. She was so lovely and totally French.
While I stayed with Rene I had my fair share of French foods; Rabbit, Crepes, French cakes, Oysters, Prawns, Cheese, Melon, and more crepes. It was just paradise.

The second day we visited a Historic building where the costumes for the festival were being made.





Rene received his costume (he was taking part in the Festival) while I went and took photos of the amazing garden surrounding the building.




It is amazing to think that a City like this exists. So much character, history and splendour all rolled into one, it’s like a dream.


After had collected his costume we went to see a small church and take the dog for a walk.

The church may have been small but with it’s thatched roof and wooden carvings it gave anything but a small impression, It was amazing.












For me these sorts of buildings are meant to exist only in story books and movies…not in real life. And when I come across something like this I am just blown away.

What made this visit even more special was that in the church was an Irish man who works in the church and was doing it up to it’s full potential. It was just great to have him explain everything in the church in English, It made the experience come alive.

After the Church we took the dog for a walk. This walk was great because we saw nothing.


And when I say nothing I mean we walked for 30 minutes with out seeing a house or a farm or any hit of man existing there at all. This is a huge change from Switzerland where you can’t walk for more than 10 minutes with out seeing a farm or a house.

After our walk we drove to a small village with a lovely harbour.







Here we had a traditional French snack…….crepes and apple cider……………sooooooooo good.







It was then back to the house. That evening Rene went out so I watched some television with Marie-France. This was so much fun and I really enjoyed her company.

The next day I did what any girl should do in France…………I went shopping. I loved just strolling around the streets of France and looking at all of the lovely clothes. I actually didn’t buy much which surprised me but I had a wonderful time.

The afternoon Rene took me to see a French or Britannia Castle. This castle was perfect. It had the cut out top brick work, the moat ,the draw bridge …everything that a perfect castle should have.






This castle also had roam ruins and Roman tiles on the floor. This looked spectacular, and with Tapestries on the walls the effect was breath taking.





My last and final day was nothing but full of fun and new experiences. We went into the town and to the Market to buy lunch, and I wanted to buy a special Vannes pottery Bowl for Belinda.

On our way to the market we stopped off at a friend of Rene’s work. Here Rene had a chat and the man gave me a special wooden figure of a Brittany lady.

Once in the market I found my bowl for Belinda and Rene also was so kind and on the spur of the moment bought me a special and towl that was in the shape of the doll I had just been given from his friend.

We also went into the fish Market. Her things got interesting.. This may sound silly to most of you bit I never realised that sea food is bought alive. It was such a shock for me (though Rene found it rather amusing) When I noticed that the crabs and prawns were all alive. Seeing the crabs having a bit of a fight nearly made me jump with surprise.





After buying some alive prawns, for lunch, we went home.

After lunch it was time for me to grab my things as I was off to stay with The Lacombe’s. The Lacombe’s were one of Belinda’s Host families, and Thomas (one of the son’s) was an exchange student in Tasmanian in 2006 so I know him quite well.

It was a bit sad to leave René’s as I had had such a great time, however at the same time I was also excited to be going to the Lacombe’s.

Rene and Marie- Franc were so nice to me and really did make the start of my summer holidays totally special.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela,

I am SOOO pleased to see what these exchanges are all about actually in action!!! How amazing to think that through Rotary you are forming friendships across nations...and continuing friendships Belinda started. I wonder where your friendships in Switzerland will lead?

Love Mum xxx

August 02, 2007 10:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home