Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Friday, August 3

England with the Dower-Tylee's

After France I arrived in England I was greeted at the airport by Ted and then we drove the hours journey to their house. Once at he house I was greet by 3 children running towards me (Olivia, as the whole place was completely full and there was not a single spare table or us to use to have dinner (as by this time it was getting rather late).
Rupert and Cordelia) holding a piece of paper. This piece of paper was presented to me and once I opened it I realised it was a invitation to stay a night in their tree top hotel….or in other words their tree house.

I great fully excepted this offer and was actually rather excited to be able to sleep in a tree house as when I was little that really was a dream of mine.

I said hello to Elizabeth and gave her a big hug but made sure I was careful of her hand as she had just recently had carpel tunnel surgery.

That night after dinner my self and the kids collected all of our clothes and warm blankets together and went over to the tree house.

This tree house is so amazing. I would have killed for something as amazing as this when I was small. It is a true house in the trees and now with the new instillation of hammocks the kids can sleep up in their very own little house. I was shown my sleeping quarters, the mezzanine floor above where the hammocks were hung.





This night was more of a stay up all night in the tree house even rather than a sleep over, however a lot of fun was had by all.


The next few days consisted of just family life, and there were no complaints about that form me. I love just being part of a family…and with the Dower-Tylee’s I always feel totally at home. I love the kids as well, they are all so nice and so much fun each with a distinct personality, which makes life good fun.


On the weekend it was a day trip to Warwick castle for us. This meant a long car ride there and back. This car ride was actually a lot of fun and it bought back many a memory from my own long family car rides and all the games we used to play as kids to pass the time. So after many a eye spy and a I spot a….. We arrived at the castle.




This castle was different to any of the other ones I have ever seen and it was presented in a very interactive way. With a lot of period dressed tour guides and many a dramatic presentation.




There were also plenty of rooms decked out in their original form with wax models of people…..these models were so real to life that I really had to look at some twice to make sure it was not a person.




We climbed many a tall tower, and had a great view of the landscape around us…..which incidentally was all covered in water as England had decided to let eh heavens open up and have rain falling down by the truck full.









We also were lucky enough to see a presentation of knights fighting…and bashing each other with swards and other metal objects.






After dressing up in knights helmets and seeing a huge array of historic rooms, furniture and castle grounds it was time to go.











We all hopped into the car and went in search of a place to go and have a nice English Afternoon Tea.

However the village we arrived in t o have afternoon teas was completely flooded. All of the restraints and shops had all of the furniture stacked up onto of tables and had sings on the doors saying ‘closed, due to flooding’.

So we decided to drive to Oxford instead. However once we arrived at oxford we realised that everyone else must have had exactly the same idea

So we made up our minds and drove almost all the way home. We stopped in a small village and found a nice Italian restraint were we had a really well deserved meal.

With full bellies we arrived home, and all slept incredibly well.


Over the next few days I enjoyed the families company, Saw the Harry Potter film, was given a Harry potter book (which I have now read and will say it is very good. (But I however will not give away any clues as to what happens), read whole series of books, spent another night in the tree house (more sleep was had this time) and really just enjoyed relaxing and having a good time.

On my second last day we took a trip down to none other that Windsor Castle.
Here we saw the famous changing of the guards.







the royal rooms (no photos were aloud in here).

The royal chapel and the palace grounds.










This was really fun as we even had a photo with one of the guards……as one must in England.




Windsor Castle was such an amazing building; while we did not see any royalty…the whole experience was rather Royal in itself.


After the Royal Palace we went and had a look at Eton, the prestigious boy school that Rupert hopes to get a place in the near future. This school is filled with so much history and the feeling one gets from it is amazing. There are all of these carvings and names etched in pillars form past boys, the whole thing is just so English …..if Rupert gets a place in this school his is one very lucky boy. If I was a boy I would be extreme l jealous of him…in fact I am jealous…and I am a girl.







As we were driving around the country side we came across Runnymede this was the site were the magna Cart was signed in 1215AD, and was the the birth place of Democracy this was an unexpected find, but a really good one at that.






Once again I had the best time in England. The Dower-Tylee’s really are the nicest family and I am so lucky to have Elizabeth as my god mother. Hopefully I can see them once again before I go back to Australia, if not I am sure I will keep in contact and see them again one day….hopefully sooner than later.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Angela!!!! I used to know the Magna Carta declaration off by heart, as we had to learn it at school....all I remember now is the date and King John.
The treehouse looks awesome....I would have killed for something like that too, as I spent half my life in trees!
Love Mum xxxx

August 04, 2007 12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home