Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Monday, August 13

Scotland

On the 4th of August I awoke at 5.:30am, collected my suit cases and carry-on-bag and caught the bus to the train station from where I would catch my train to Zurich and then travel by plane to Scotland to stay with family friends of Mum and Dad; Mr John and Mrs Joan.

I arrived at the airport, checked in all my bags and waited for my flight to be called.
I was rather pleased that this whole flight experience seemed to be running smoothly, unlike my last few experiences in Geneva where I have had 8 hour waits for my plane.

I was reflecting on this and starting to get excited with the fact that I would be in Scotland in hour when suddenly over the loud speaker a mans voice was heard…he said ‘Could miss A. Cameron-Tucker please come to gate 7 please’. Suddenly I felt sick….i couldn’t have missed my flight could I, I was sure they had not called it. How embarrassing I would have to walk on the plane with everyone staring at me….or at worst I had missed my plane all together.

I went as fast as I could to gate 7 , red in the face and feeling rather overwhelmed. The man at he desk had seen me coming and smiled saying…are you Miss Cameron-Tucker. I said ‘yes I am’, as I was. He asked me if I was tired….I thought well yes a little bit seeing as I was up at 5.30…so I replied’ yes I am’.

He then explained that I had not missed my flight…in fact I would no longer be taking this flight at all as I was the only passenger aboard who was not with a group and the plane was full. After him explaining everything again for me it was made clear that I would be leaving on a flight in an hour going to London and then from London to Scotland.

After being given new tickets and a big apology from the staff I hopped onto the flight to England. After the long line of passport checks I arrived in Scotland and was greeted by John and Joan who I had phoned off my mobile to inform them of the flight change.

So Once again I have figured I have been cursed by the flying fairy and will forever been doomed with every possible bad flight connection of lack of seats that here is. However I was in Scotland, I had arrived safely….so all was not that bad.

My first evening with John and Joan was spent just talking, unpacking my suit case,eating and just enjoying myself.

On Sunday we awoke nice and early and went down to church.
After a very humorous and enjoyable service form the visiting priest we went home and had a bite to eat.

It was then off to the ‘Edinburgh fringe festival parade’ that was taking place in down town Edinburgh.

This parade was just wonderful


It kicked off with bike riders.



Followed by men on Motor bikes

The Parade was also filled with all the Scottish elements one would expect, such as…

Bag Pipes


And kilted and non kilted marching bands.









all this made me realise that I was actually in Scotland…and how lucky I was to be experiencing such culture.


The parade also had other elements other that Scottish ones such as pageant style floats





Marching girls with batons and flags



And even believe it or not a Rotary Float.




The reason for such a Pageant event? ….To kick off the fringe festival, publicising events that would take place, such as plays and performances as well as highlighting charity organisations and events that take place everyday in Edinburgh.


In traditional Scottish style it was raining heavily but this did not dampen our spirits. And when the rain got to much we went and looked in the Church that my Mum had attended when she was living in Edinburgh. A lovely church with a lovely feel to it.



On the Monday Mrs Joan and I went and had a girls day out. We caught a bus into the city and went and explored the Edinburgh Castle. This Castle was built Hundreds of Years ago on a huge big rocky cliff style mound.





We walked up the Hill to the castle and went inside. The view was just amazing and one could see why the castle was built in such a strategic military position; Up on huge rock face, with a perfect view off all of it’s surroundings.




And to put this military advantage to use the castle was fitted with hug canon balls the size of small dogs and hug big dominating cannons with perfect views of the city.



Once inside the castle while the evidence of military occupation still remained, such as rooms with weapons, and a military display with bagpiping models and military scotish uniforms…notice the tartan pants.






The elegance and beauty of the royal rooms made one almost forget the harsh and brutal exterior of the castle.

Not only did we look at royal rooms we also saw the history of Scottish Royalty and the path to the thrown.

We saw displays of the coronations of various monarchs, the royal Scottish stone, the crowns and the batons.

We also saw models of Mary Queen of Scotts.




After experiencing the Scottish castle experience we walked out of the Castle and were suddenly looking straight down the royal mile (the famous Scottish street)



After buying many a souvenir, badge and pin we went walking through crowds of performers advertising their play and performances. Then we had a big magnificent cup of hot chocolate and went home.






We then continued our Scottish day with haggis for dinner.



Mr John did the Scottish address to the haggis and then one started to devour their serving of haggis



Let me tell you it tasted a lot better than it looked…However I will say unlike my Older sister Belinda I am not the worlds biggest fan of this Scottish culinary masterpiece.


On the Tuesday Mrs Joan and I had another girl’s day. We drove down to the Famous Rosalyn Chapel. Which some of the Da Vinci Code fans will recognise form the film as the hiding place of the final clues to the Holy Grail.



Not only is the chapel famous for its place in the Da Vinci Code, it is also famous in its own right. This Chapel has the most exquisite carvings collection of carved pillars, carved faces and the most amazing carved ceiling I have ever seen.











After escaping the swarm of people that were filling every spare space of the chapel we went and did what every girl who has been on exchange for 6 months should do…..I got my hair cut for the first time in 6 months. So after my well deserved hair cut and a lovely lunch Mrs Joan and I went into the city to do a spot of shopping and have a bit of a tourist time.



After looking in may as shop including the famous store and a personal favourite of my mothers ‘Jenner’s’,

Mrs Joan and I did what any tourist with a limited amount of time in a city should do. We hopped don a Tour Bus and did a Tour of the City.

Formt the bus I saw many a building and statue I would noraly have over looked and not taken in.

We saw a Statue of King George in a kilt and coat.



A Shop with a great (though corny) name.



Countless typical Edinburgh houses all joined together, with wonderful architecture and made out of stone.


Building with statues Queen Victoria on top



The royal Mile again



The Scottish Parliament


A huge hill thing



And the Queen’s Royal gallery.




On the Wednesday with Mr Joan I (dressed in my now extremely pin covered Rptary blazer) attended the Brails Rotary Club’s meeting.

I was welcomed by all of the Rotarians and was made to feel extremely welcome. I was sat at the presidents table and chatted to the men besides me.

I had to give a quick speech as to the reason I was there, what a Youth exchange is (as this does not exist in Scotland) and just say a bit about self, my year and it’s purpose.

After giving my speech and eating my generous serving of lunch the meeting was drawing to an end.

I will say this again and again…… I really love rotary meetings. I love meeting new people, I love hearing about what they have done in life. I love the way that every Rotary Club is totally different…a perfect example of this is I presented my Club Rotary Club of Hobart’s Flag to the Club and in return instead of a flag I received a mini bottle of Whisky in exchange.


After Rotary Mr John and I went back to the house and Collected Mrs Joan. We then went off to Visit the Royal Yacht Britannia



This Yacht was jst amazing. For those of you who do not know this yacht was the Private Royal Yacht of the Queen and her family. As such it was decked out with plenty of royal spelndo such as a car parked in a garage n the deck , however at the queens request the Yacht was not to extravagant was made to resemble more of a floating country estate home. With wonderful kitchens and china ‘fit of the Queen’ the ship was a floating splendour.





The effect of this design was amazing with a car parked on board and a lovely dining table this yacht looked great. The sleeping quarters of the royal family were rather pleasant and not to over the top.







The crews quarters were lets say ….a lot less spacious and considerably cramped.


The engine room looked like a museum piece but we were assured that it worked brilliantly and had worked to help the yacht travel over 1,000,000miles.



Once one had made sure they had a photo with ships bell and compass it was time to leave the royal vessel and head home.




Thursday was a just a really nice day. Mrs Joan and I went to the Georgian house, house done up to represent the way of life in the Georgian period. The house was full of splendour and history and I really enjoyed it.



After the Georgian house we went had a quick visit to the house my mum and Dad used to live in. It was in a prefect location right in the heart of the city and looked liked just a wonderful basement flat..

Joan and I then went and were completely civilized, having lunch in a wonderful restaurant. The lunch was to die for and Joan’s company was equally if not more enjoyable.
After Lunch we ahad a nice explore of more shop in the city and we watched many a busker perform, including a sward swallowing 3m unicycle riding fire juggling Australian.


We also saw some Scottish men splaying drums and an Aboriginal.



After watch some more buskers we went and Climbed the Scott’s Monument and had a fabulous view of the city. The View was just spectacular even if the two way traffic in the narrow stair case was a challenge at times.





We then had a last look around the shops and headed back home. I packed up my things and was ready to go home early the next day.

On Friday Joan dropped me off at the airport, after a nice hot chocolate it was time for me to board my plane and go home. I said goodbye to Mrs Joan and was rather sad to go. I had had such a great time with her and Mr John and I would miss their company once I arrived back in Switzerland

Once I had walked through security awaited around bit, I went and boarded my plane. I had ot take a photo of this plane…..as it was the smallest one I had ever seen. Not that is not true I have seen small planes, but never a passenger flight plane with small.




After a safe flight back I arrived in Zurich marking the end of my summer Holidays.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Angela.
I am so glad you enjoyed Edinburgh as much as your father and I did!!! I have not climbed Scott's Monument, believe it or not! Now you can visualize where we used to live. Well done for trying the haggis!!! I really like it!
Love Mum xxxx

August 15, 2007 2:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angela, what a lovely review you have written, thanks for all the compliments. we're glad you enjoyed your first visit to Scotland. We really enjoyed having you to stay - you can come back anytime
love, Joan

August 18, 2007 7:22 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home