Name:
Location: A true blue Aussie, living in Switzerland

Thursday, October 25

Europe Tour 4

After Austria it was off to Italy so it was back on the bus again for us.
For lunch we stopped by the side of a lake and had our packed lunches in between feeding the swans and playing rugby.

After a few hours we finally arrived at our Hotel in Lindo di Jesolo. Our hotel could not have had a better Location......right on the beach, near 4 Gelato and 2 pizza shops....what more could we ask for.

That afternoon the brave went swimming in the not-so-warm sea. I being among those brave found the water rather chilly and coming form a girl who has been know to swim in the Derwent in Tasmanian when it is raining and only 18 degrees ....that is a big statement...meaning the water was freezing.

After my rather quick swim I went and bought my first few scoops of ice-cream. Over the 6 days that we were in Italy I sure did eat my fair share of ice-cream....I made a point of tasting as many flavours as I could…… no matter how odd they were....so I had a range from Pumpkin, to Pineapple, Tiramisu, coconut, Nutella, all the way to normal chocolate and my favourite the berry kinds.

That night after a wonderful dinner of pasta ,m and small little bread stick things...that those at my table would appreciate the humour when I mention these, and how we sort of didn’t really eat them normally and did what our mothers would have hated and played with our food....ooops.

So after dinner we all went to a Bar and sang karaoke....this was so much fun.
I joined in and sang my heart out to songs such as YMCA, Rome wasn't built in a day, It's raining men, What’s love got to do with it...etc.

After a lot of singing. …….not by everyone as for some people singing really wasn’t their thing…… so after allot of singing by me.....the night was drawing to an end and we all walked back to our hotel.


The next day Gemma and I awoke to find all of our swimmers etc that we had hung out on the balcony the night before to dry blown across the side all between out hotel and another. ………after a quick rescue mission we went off to enjoy our beach day.....so that’s really what we did all day....walked on the beach, swam again , played touch footy on the beach, talked on the beach, ate pizza on the beach and had fun in the sun on the beach.







That evening a group of us went a played games we used to play as kids...such as red rover, stuck in the mud style things etc. It was so much fun...I really enjoyed myself.

After playing our games we all went and had yet more ice-cream. ……..I think by then I was up to my 18th scoop or so.......oooops

The next day was one of my favourite....it was the day we went to Venice.

We all caught the bus to the ferry stop and from there we took the ferry over to Venice itself.





Once in Venice our first stop for the day was another small island....Morano...the island of glass. Here we saw a display of glass getting made....I found this really interesting...after the glass making display I went off with Gemma and we took out time as we weaved in and out of glass shop after glass shop...each filled to the brim of the most beautiful glass creations I have seen.





After Marano we went off to The Main Island Of Venice...the first thing we did there was buy ice-cream...

the second was to take photos with the pigeons (they were everywhere....and if you stuck our arms out they all came and sat on you)





after looking around a few of the stalls that graced the streets and tying on some of the masks



we went to try to find the famous bridge and other famous buildings

After getting lost many a time....but finding some cute photo opportunities along the way...we bumped into Kristen and some other Australian who she had met and pickled up along the way. We then had 2 missions to see all of the history and to by Masks.

So that’s what we did the rest of the day....we saw the sites...and boy were they stunning and we got lost and saw some really beautiful parts of Venice while we were on a mask hunt. And as per usual we ended up getting masks form one of the first shops we went in......but this was not so easily done as we actually had to find this shop again and this was not an easy task.

Venice was such a lovely city.......the Church there was just breath taking with all of its mosaics


The gondoliers set the atmosphere and the day was just one of the best I have had.


The boat trip back from Venice was also a lot of fun made even better by our rendition of Disney songs.


The next day we were off aging to our last hotel of the stay.

We drove there for most of the day with a big stop over in Verona...home of Romeo and Juliet (if they actually existed)

So of course I saw the balcony, touched the statue, wrote a message on the lovers wall (no, no nothing like that.....we all wrote how we love our Europe tour group 2007).







I also had a photo with Roman guards in front of a theatre, had photos with my friends on a bridge and looked at all the things Verona had to offer.





Later that day we arrived at our last hotel. I was in a room with the other Jemma and Valeria ( I am not sure how to spell her name).


The town we were in happened to be having a market, so off we went and explored this little villages market for the afternoon. All I can say about this experience is what most of you wont understand. LOCK DOWNS; SKUTTEL....SECURITY FIRST.. LOCK DOWN .as with some things in life you had to be there.


That evening our leaders treated us all to gelato...I had 3 of the best scoops I have had in ages.....with more Scuttling and lock downs the evening was over and it was off to sleep before our last real day of Europe Tour.

Florence was our last Destination....and it was well worth the wait.


First we had our last City tour....and our Tour guide was something special. He was just so great with his Italian accent and the thickest rimmed glasses I have ever seen....I really have never seen anyone quite like him before.

After looking in the huge cathedral,






and taking a group photo there

seeing the Statue of David an amazing bridge, a glided door and many other amazing statues and pieces of art work...we were free for the afternoon to do what we pleased.








After being totally ripped off with the exchange rate when I had to change over some money we all decided to spend our last lunch together in a sit down restaurants and not a quick take away or food from a supermarket as we had done all of the pervious days.


We eventually found a restaurant, we talked the waiter into not giving us a sitting in fee and then had one of the biggest and most delicious meals of my life....gosh Italian food is good.

To thank our waiter we all drew and wrote a thankyou message on napkin...so one day when we are rich and famous he can sell the napkin and make millions…….. or so was the idea.

We then went off to these fabulous markets....filled with leather and other amazing goods. After getting lost in there for hours Kay-lea and I finally resurfaced without the others (we lost them near the scarfs) and then together Kay-lea and I went looking for some proper shops.

After buying a jacket (I decided I may as well spend all of my euros seeing as I had to pay so much to get them) we went and had an ice-cream....ad here was the only misfortune ,apart from the money exchange rate, we had all trip...the people totally ripped us off and we ended up paying extreme amounts for our ice-cream…..but couldn’t get out of it as they kept twisting things.....but oh well. ……the ice cream was good.

After dinner in a restaurant the whole exchange group went up on top of the hill behind Florence and had our last evening together.





The next day was best bus ride I have had in my life....while it was mixed with so many emotions......happiness at being together and sadness as the trip was over....we still had so much fun. We talked sang and just enjoyed every last minute together.

I had the best ever Europe trip....and I would go again in a heart beat.

Thankyou so much Rotary…..thanks mum and dad and thanks my fellow exchange buddies

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ange its liv
Sorry i havent written for ages ive had exams and stuff sorry.Europe looks so nice i dont know why you would come back to boring hobart!Well news from home i guess... school is over formal is one month away and my exams are well tomorow but i cant sleep!Hmm um ive quit maccas and now work at a bottle shop but thats not all that exciting. Im kinda glad schools over it was getting unbearable as it tends to at fahan.Im thinking about traveling to europe next year so when you get back you can tell me all about it.Oh and im going to falls this year should be good but wish u were coming too, claire is.oh btw thanks for making school bearable and for keeping it real.
liv ;)

Email me back if u get this i wasnt sure if u still checked your email and i dont have my space!

November 13, 2007 1:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a trip.....are you SURE you managed not to burst with all of that ice-cream??? I have photos of your Dad eating ice cream in Italy.
Love Mum xxx

November 26, 2007 4:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home